Antigua and Barbuda will soon welcome back a group of five medical specialists from Cuba, part of an ongoing partnership designed to expand the island’s healthcare capacity, reduce overseas referrals and improve services such as ear, nose and throat care.
Director General of Communications Maurice Merchant announced the plan Friday during the post-Cabinet briefing, noting that the specialists will support expansion of the Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) unit at the Celeste Bird Medical Centre.
“We expect those specialists to be returning here in the very near future,” Merchant said. “Their expertise will assist in bolstering our healthcare system, particularly in areas like ENT care, where we have had a significant need.”
The return of the specialists is part of Antigua and Barbuda’s long-standing medical cooperation with Cuba, which has provided doctors and nurses to the public health system for many years.
Merchant emphasized the dual purpose of the initiative: building local capacity and decreasing the number of patients needing specialist care overseas.
“These professionals will reduce the necessity, and I emphasize the necessity, for individuals having to travel abroad for specialized medical treatment,” he said.
The ENT unit at the Celeste Bird Medical Centre is being expanded to accommodate the returning specialists, with construction and outfitting underway.
“The expansion of the ENT unit has been a priority,” Merchant said. “We want a fully functional facility that meets the needs of our people.”
Officials said the partnership will benefit not only those who require specialized medical care but also families who previously faced high costs for treatment abroad.
“Many people have had to go overseas for care that these specialists — and our enhanced facilities — can now provide here at home,” Merchant said.
The government’s ongoing collaboration with Cuba reflects a broader regional health strategy that has strengthened healthcare delivery in Antigua and Barbuda for over a decade.

