More
    HomePoliticsAntigua and Barbuda says it is not prepared to accept more than...

    Antigua and Barbuda says it is not prepared to accept more than the initially agreed number of Third-Country Nationals from the U.S – Antigua News Room

    Published on

    spot_img

    The Antigua and Barbuda government says it is not prepared to expand the number of third-country nationals it agreed to accept under an arrangement with the United States, despite requests from Washington for additional intake.

    Director General of Communications Maurice Merchant said discussions between the two countries are ongoing, but the Gaston Browne administration remains committed to the original terms of the agreement.

    Speaking during Thursday’s post-Cabinet briefing, Merchant confirmed that the United States had asked Antigua and Barbuda to increase the number of migrants it would accept under the arrangement signed last year.

    “The original proposal by the United States government for a certain quantity of these individuals remains Antigua and Barbuda’s position,” Merchant said.

    “The United States has requested additional numbers to be added. The Cabinet, the Government and Prime Minister respectfully advised the United States government that at this time it is not prepared to go beyond the original arrangements,” he added.

    Merchant said Prime Minister Gaston Browne recently held discussions with US officials on the matter and had also asked Antigua and Barbuda’s ambassador to the United States, Sir Ronald Sanders, to continue engagement with American authorities.

    He said the government remains willing to assist international partners, including the United States, but must also protect Antigua and Barbuda’s national interests.

    “We are committed to assisting our partners internationally with the United States. However, the government of Antigua and Barbuda must also assist our partners keeping in mind its own interest,” Merchant said.

    The issue resurfaced during the Cabinet briefing after a question was raised about regional discussions surrounding third-country nationals and recent comments by Sir Ronald Sanders on the matter.

    Latest articles

    Home Burgled in Crosbies; SUV Stolen – Antigua News Room

    Sleeping Homeowner Burgled in Crosbies; SUV StolenPolice are investigating a burglary in Crosbies after...

    Parham Truck Fall Leaves Young Woman Hospitalized – Antigua News Room

    Emergency responders were called to Quarry Road in Parham on Friday afternoon after a...

    Creative Industries Minister Dwayne George Meets Festival Officials as Carnival 2026 Planning Intensifies – Antigua News Room

    Antigua and Barbuda’s Sports and Creative Industries Minister, Dwayne George, met with members of...

    Prime Minister Pays Tribute to Former Senator Mary Clare Hurst – Antigua News Room

    Prime Minister Gaston Browne paid tribute to former senator Mary Clare Hurst, describing her...

    More like this

    Home Burgled in Crosbies; SUV Stolen – Antigua News Room

    Sleeping Homeowner Burgled in Crosbies; SUV StolenPolice are investigating a burglary in Crosbies after...

    Parham Truck Fall Leaves Young Woman Hospitalized – Antigua News Room

    Emergency responders were called to Quarry Road in Parham on Friday afternoon after a...

    Creative Industries Minister Dwayne George Meets Festival Officials as Carnival 2026 Planning Intensifies – Antigua News Room

    Antigua and Barbuda’s Sports and Creative Industries Minister, Dwayne George, met with members of...