More
    HomeenvironmentNODS Awaits Test Results After Oil-Based Seepage at Cooks Landfill

    NODS Awaits Test Results After Oil-Based Seepage at Cooks Landfill

    Published on

    spot_img

    Officials at the National Office of Disaster Services (NODS) say they are still awaiting laboratory results to determine the exact nature of oil-based contaminants that seeped from the Cooks Sanitary Landfill into surrounding areas last week, as containment and precautionary measures continue.

    NODS convened a meeting Monday with members of the National Emergency Operations Centre (NEOC) to receive updates on response efforts and testing procedures .

    Deputy Director of NODS Craig Cole said samples were collected from several locations by the Department of Analytical Services and are being tested for a range of possible contaminants .

    Officials from the Department of Analytical Services indicated that tests should include petroleum hydrocarbons and warned that potential long-term health implications must also be considered . The department has recommended the development and adequate funding of a long-term sampling plan to monitor any ongoing risks .

    Since Friday, NODS has partially activated the National Emergency Operations Centre and mobilized multiple agencies to install containment booms to limit the spread of the substance .

    As a precaution, the Fisheries Department imposed a public health ban prohibiting the harvesting, sale and consumption of fish from waters stretching from Seaforth Beach to Pinchin Bay . Senior Fisheries Officer Mark Archibald said the ban was introduced as a safeguard while investigations continue .

    Representatives from West Indies Oil Company reported that inspections found no oil film inside or outside the containment boom . The company plans to deploy an additional 4,500 feet of boom as a precautionary measure .

    Officials acknowledged there remains uncertainty about what may be suspended in the water and sediments in the affected bay and whether it could pose a risk to public health .

    Another NEOC meeting has been scheduled for Friday, when test results are expected to be available. Authorities said a further update will be provided to the media following that meeting .

    Latest articles

    Ministry of Works Announces February 18–March 2 Government Vehicle Audit

    NOTICE: GOVERNMENT VEHICLE AUDITThe Ministry of Works will be conducting an audit of all...

    Halo Foundation Announces Patronage of Generation Next Football Club

    The Halo Foundation is proud to announce that the Generation Next Football Club has...

    Liberty Latin America Accelerates Cloud Transformation And ICT AdoptionThrough Strategic Collaboration With AWS

    Liberty Latin America (“Liberty Latin America” or “LLA”) (NASDAQ: LILA and LILAK, OTC Link:...

    Flow Announces First Winner in “Riddim & Rewards” Promotion

    Flow congratulates Annalie Thomas, the first winner in its ongoing Riddim & Rewards campaign....

    More like this

    Ministry of Works Announces February 18–March 2 Government Vehicle Audit

    NOTICE: GOVERNMENT VEHICLE AUDITThe Ministry of Works will be conducting an audit of all...

    Halo Foundation Announces Patronage of Generation Next Football Club

    The Halo Foundation is proud to announce that the Generation Next Football Club has...

    Liberty Latin America Accelerates Cloud Transformation And ICT AdoptionThrough Strategic Collaboration With AWS

    Liberty Latin America (“Liberty Latin America” or “LLA”) (NASDAQ: LILA and LILAK, OTC Link:...